05 October 2010

Candied Pumpkin

So I know it's been too long since I last updated this thing. I've cooked things and baked things, I just haven't had the time to write about them or go through the photos. Perhaps some unrealistic day I won't have too many things to do or be too drained to post.

I set up a little photo session for my color photo class last night for my second project, symbolism being the theme. The theme of my project is of course the best holiday day to ever exist: Halloween. So, I made a Jack 'O Lantern.

You don't have to make a Jack 'O Lantern in order to make candied pumpkin, but considering there is absolutely no way this little spirit-warder would last until the actual Holiday, in the words of the lovely Alma Caravarin, "If it's not eternal, might as well eat it right now with unmeasurable amounts of sugar."

Ingredients
1 medium pumpkin
2-3 large OR 5-6 small cones of piloncillo*
*According to babylon.com, pilloncillo is "Brown, unrefined cane sugar found in cone-shaped pieces used to sweeten coffee and desserts." Can be found at your local Mexican market.



Ever since I can remember, Eva and my Abuelita have candied our Jack 'O Lanterns after Halloween. Can you say, "Ultimate Decoration"? You can't eat a Christmas tree, therefore Halloween > Christmas.

1. To begin, clean out the pumpkin like you would a Jack 'O Lantern. 
If you don't know how to do that, we probably shouldn't be associated. Or at least learn how to immediately so that I never find out.
2. Cut up the pumpkin into three-to-four inch rectangles and put them into a large pot with the piloncillo. Fill the pot with water and boil until the pumpkin is very soft, stirring occasionally.



Serve warm or cold, with or without a bit of milk: fat-free, because anything else is gross.



You're gonna be eating a face!

No comments:

Post a Comment